This article is reprinted, with the author Kyle Porter’s permission, from the WittyParrot “My Best Tip for Sales Success” eBook published in May 2015.
I’ve had the pleasure of interacting with over 200 fast-growing software & technology businesses this year. Many of these companies are the fastest growing & most respected businesses in the world. Most of them are focused on scaling up.
One of the common denominators from many of these companies is their deployment of a worldclass sales development team.
A sales development team is a phone and email-based team that identifies, connects with, &qualifies prospects, then passes them to a sales person who takes over for the rest of the sales process.
World-class sales development teams have the following characteristics:
- Dedicated leader (not someone focused on both closing & opening roles)
- A defined rhythm & cadence for number of new prospect contacts each day & defined process of emails, phone calls, social drips, over a certain number of days
- A process for finding & extracting new prospects from LinkedIn into their CRM
- A modern, web-based CRM.
- Weekly one-on-one coaching with SDRs.
- A metrics driven organization with transparency in reporting.
- A defined onboarding & training process preferably with a playbook: https://salesloft.com/resources/ebook/sales-development-playbook-planning/
- Visibility at the executive level.
- A career path to progression.
About Kyle Porter
Kyle Porter is the Founder & CEO of SalesLoft. Grew company 2000% in 2014 from $200k to $4mm in recurring revenue. Kyle was the #1 blog writer for salesforce.com last year, & is President of the American Association of Inside Sales Professionals Atlanta Chapter.